Re: [FWDLK] 58 DODGE D 500 SUPER OPTION, QUESTION.

Re: [FWDLK] 58 DODGE D 500 SUPER OPTION, QUESTION.

Thanks Neil for the answer to my question on 57 D 501 Dodges. I checked the 57 Daytona race results and there was not even one Chrysler, Dodge or Plymouth in the race. Chrysler Corporation pulling out of racing after dominating the past years. They must have scared even the private owner of the mighty 300's and D-501 from competing. I think they would have done well if they would have competed. Chrysler products never had a real strong stick shift transmission. If I remember correctly, the Dodge 500's with stick shifts had to start out in second gear with only one shift into high. The few friends I had that had stick shift Dodges and Plymouth in 57 and 58 had a problem of busting up their right hand from hitting the dash every time they speed shifted into second gear.
I really feel the D 501 would have been a terror on the drag strip with a Chrysler 300 C torqueflite. I bet not one owner changed over to Torqueflite transmission in those D 501 Dodges!!!! Guess we will never know.

Watch the 57 Daytona Beach race on "you tube"----- click below