[FWDLK] General engine diagnosis question (not FL)

[FWDLK] General engine diagnosis question (not FL)

Hi All,

I was hoping to solicit a little help on my daily driver, a '68 Cadillac Deville that had a major issue today.  If you'd like to help, please email me directly and not to the list.

I recently replaced a badly worn camshaft and lifters, and all was well for about 2 weeks.  Today while driving into work, I very suddenly heard a sharp rattling sound and started losing power.  Looking in my rearview mirror, I saw a huge cloud of white smoke.  I was able to get over safely to the side, and when I opened the hood, white smoke was pouring out of the air cleaner snorkel (as it turns out, it was via the crankcase breather.  The car would not restart (it hardly cranked).  The temp gauge showed normal and there were no signs of overheating.  It has the right amount of oil, and it has oil pressure.

After being towed home, I tried starting the car, and to my surprise it started right up.  Strangely, it idles okay (a little rough) but still has a loud knocking.  There is very little vacuum assist to the brakes.  It also seems there is an abnormally large amount of air being blown out of the crankcase at the breather.

I know a blown-out transmission vacuum modulator can cause fluid to be sucked up and burned, causing some similar symptoms, but I checked the line and it is fluid-free. I have not yet checked the line to the brake power booster to see if it sucked in brake fluid that way (the brakes do seem fine though -- just no assist).

It's still smoking some, but running decently at present.  I turned it off for now.  If there's major damage I hope to minimize running the engine as much as possible.

When the weather warms up, I can do a compression test, but it's bitter cold out there right now.

With the symptoms stated above, what does anyone think the issue might be?  A blown-out ring or piston?  A dropped valve?

I'd appreciate any sound logic guesses that y'all might have... I am going to have to decide quickly whether to try and repair the problem or to get a new car.  (Actually, Juley would probably get the new car... and I'd get her Subaru wagon...  which is a loooooong way from being a '68 Cadillac)  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

-Dave