From: Jim Rawa <jrawa@xxxxxxx>;
To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] ETHANOL DAMAGE TO GASOLINE ENGINES
Sent: Sun, Mar 13, 2011 3:06:54 AM

the threat is real... so far 2 out of 27 vehicles i intermittently/regularly use have fallen victim- a 57 plymouth 2dr wagon and my 58 golden commando savoy...  apparently with some sort of phase separation of fuel... the fuel level flaots [on sending units] have loast their red-lacquer like coating, absorbed the fuel or alcohol and sank... no longer buoyant.... i had to remove the sending unit on the car, and the whole tank on the wagon, remove the cork/coated floats and replace them with [what will hopefully last] cellular foam type floats i salvaged from parts cars over the years [mid-80s era].... which were also designed for non-alcohol fuel... the good this is all my carburetors are either pre-mid 60's units with brass sealed floats, or holleys from '00 and up with resistant plastic floats...  i did the 58 2 days ago and the wagon today....  11 more finned mopars with cork floats still floating... my lincolns/ford products have brass flaots, 51 buick has a brass float, not sure what my later 50s GMs have... my muscle-era GMs have cellular foam floats...  only time will tell.

all the hippies fooled and fueled by politics are ruining our cars