Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2011 9:18 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] 1957 DODGE BRAKES, WHEELS, HUBCAPS,ETC, ETC.

Ron, I agree – when you make any changes to the original equipment, it starts getting complicated real fast!

If I had my druthers, I’d keep my car as original as possible.  We all drove cars with four-wheel drum brakes until the late 70s, and they were fine just as they were.

The real problem is with the availability of replacement parts.  I drive that car nearly 10,000 miles a year.  At this point I need the hubs along with the drums, and good used samples are almost nonexistent.  And NOS are outrageously priced.  All that makes disk conversion the more economical choice:  with better performance, easy-to-find replacement parts, and lower cost, it’s a no-brainer.

So, the brakes are a definite.  I’ll stick with 14-inch wheels if I can find a suitable set that will fit around the calipers.  If not, I’ll switch to 15-inch, and get a set of reproduction 15-inch spinner hubcaps.  Not my ideal choice – I greatly prefer the look of the standard wheel covers – but it’s still an original 1957 look, so I’ll live with it if I have to.