[FWDLK] AFB CARB HESITATION--solved?? FYI

[FWDLK] AFB CARB HESITATION--solved?? FYI

Hello Members

Maybe this will solve the problem for many who are having this problem, as I have heard several over the years

After having 2 sets of AFBs PROFESSIONALLY restored,,,both had the same problem. Slow to moderate acceleration from a stop was interrupted by a slight,,quick,,but noticeable hesitation, I would estimate at about 5 MPH

I went through all of the common items,,,centrifugal advance,,,vacuum advance,,ign timing,,,adjustment of air valves,,idylle jets,,,even inconspicuous vacuum leaks.
ALL WAS GOOD and still the bothersome hesitation!!!

At this time I was fairly certain it was a fuel problem.
I then changed the dashpot springs and metering rods for a richer environment. The overall performance was improved,,,,but still that bothersome hesitation.

I called the rebuilder several times,,,He FINALLY admitted to me that they set the floats LOWER (leaner) than spec!!!! THE REASON---most customers are using electric or high perf pumps putting out in excess of 7PSI. This alone WILL force more fuel into the bowl. They also made no provision for E85 fuel!

EUREKA!!!
Since I am using a stocko pump ,,putting out at best 5 1/2 PSI on a good day,,,and using E85 fuel ( which by the way is DENSER than gasoline and thereby pushes the floats higher while giving A LOWER fuel level) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,I was now convinced the carb needed 'time' to suck up the lower level denser fuel to the ventures, thereby causing a 'pause' (HESITATION)

I reset BOTH sets of carb floats to 11/64 ( which is HIGHER than the spec of 7/32).

NOT A HINT OF HESITATION ANY MORE!!
No flooding either as I tried some rapid accel while turning.

Hope this helps those with this pain in the ass problem
ED ECKERSON
ED ECKERSON