[FWDLK] Fwd: Re: [FWDLK] ignition points on old hemi engines

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] ignition points on old hemi engines
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 22:08:25 -0400
From: paul <paulholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 9/14/2011 12:57 PM, Ted Blackington wrote:

Hello Web-
I have two mid-fifties Mopars with hemi engines, a 56 and a 55. If
allowed to rest for several weeks or months the points will not fire,
and have to be carefully filed to obtain spark. The points (dual) are
almost new, having replaced them several times. The cars go nowhere,
just rest in the carport. I have replaced them several times-
My later Chrysler products with single points had no problems-am I
getting a bad batch of points from NAPA or the on line sellers (Chinese
maybe??) My last attempt to file them resulted in the contact completely
breaking free from the arm-
Is anyone else having a similar problem? Any solutions??? I'm getting
too old and inflexible to crawl way back there under the hood each time
it happens-
Your help appreciated !!!! (Yeeow! got zapped again!) Ted Blackington

I think this is a problem with the condensor, they can die, and about
the only test I think a home mechanic can make is a dead short test.
a bad condensor usually surfaces as a pretty short lifespan of the
points I recall, as well as maybe more radio noise from the system
possibibibibly

Postyscript, I think I recall that there was a clue to the deposits building up on the contact, depending on which one was getting the deposits, that was also considered a hint as to weather or not you had the coil wired right polarity wise. I think it was if the build up was on the fixed contact you were ok, if on the arm contact you had the coil reversed, or was that vicy-versy?