Re: [FWDLK] Old vs New Car Crash

I wonder how the old Caddy would do against a Smart Car, or maybe a Prius?

I've owned both a 56 Dodge and a 56 Oldsmobile for 30 years. My opinion is the Olds has a stiffer frame. It is more like a ladder plus an X in the middle. The simplest geometric shape of a triangle (as in an X) is much stronger than a rectangle. The Olds also had a flexible leather coupling (first year 1956) between the steering box and the steering column. This was probably designed for interchangeability among models and years, and to reduce road vibrations. But in a head-on crash, hopefully the flex coupling would either shear or flex so the steering wheel was less likely to impale the driver. Mopar used a ridgid bar in the steering column.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500