Re: [FWDLK] On-going clock repair saga...

Re: [FWDLK] On-going clock repair saga...

On 2/17/2012 2:14 PM, Jim Rawa wrote:

whay can't "points" be created by a spot of weld or braze being filed
into shape? in the electrical world a set of contact break points can be
repaired by brazing material over the former copper contact area, then
filing into a true surface.. a clock contact set is just a scaled down
version

We did that in the telephone system for some time while the central offices were still electromechanical, meaning LOTs and LOTs of relays.

I spent the better part of a summer in the 70's on a contacts welding project in my area, we had 39 central offices that were largely the same level of hardware. It was cheaper to clean off the old worn contact material and reweld (electrically) then remove and replace many of the wirespring relays in use. Not to mention, if I did my job right, a lot quicker then the R and R process if that relay had suffered a total failure.

--
Paul Holmgren
Mine: 2 57 300-C's in Indy