Re: [FWDLK] Chrysler manual trannie info, please.

Re: [FWDLK] Chrysler manual trannie info, please.

Thanks; looks like the 2.31/1.55 was used in the 57 Dodges,
 series, too.

The 57 6-cylinder Coronet series had 2.50/1.68 gears in them.

According to the 5/57 Hot Rod, all 57 PLY's, including Furys,
had the 2.50/1.68 gears in them, as well.

In 1958, the Fury's (anyway) got the 2.31/1.55 trannies, according
to the 1/58 Hot Rod.

Looks like the 2.31 guy is 1738 232 on our 'score cards'.

In 61, the Dodge's gearing was 2.55/1.49, still with a non-synchro
1st gear and that trannie was N/A on the Rammie engines (according
to the A.M.A. Spec Sheets), but Hot Rod & Motor Life tested a red
Seneca Rammie sedan that had this manual trannie in it, and their
only complaints with it were that, on the column shift, 2nd gear was a
knuckle-buster on the dash's heater pushbuttons (optional Hurst
floor shifter was recommended) , and that the 1.49 2nd gear's ratio
jump was "too much", for the shift into the 1.00 3rd gear, with the 4.10
gears that the car was running, because the engine would only be winding
out to 5,000 RPM at the end of the 1/4 mile.

Does anyone have a 1961 Parts book, to check the P/N on this trannie?

Neil Vedder