Re: [FWDLK] Buying Cars from Canada

An old story.  A buddy and I sold a ‘66 300 to a guy in Abbotsford, BC, Canada.  When we got across the border and the Canadian border patrol inspected the car they checked our ID and deported my friend as an undesirable alien because he’d had a DWI [or two or three] in Washington.  Here it’s not criminal but in Canada it is.  Another border patrolman kept hurrying me on out of the inspection station.  Turns out the US and Canada have a gentleman’s agreement to hold cars at the border for 72 hours to check the paperwork.  This Canadian patrolman didn’t like the rule and got me through before the US patrol came over.  They were mad when I went back through customs without the car.  BTW, to get the undesirable alien status waived for DWI you have to go to the consulate in Seattle with all your records and a pocket full of money to get a dispensation.

--Roger van Hoy

Sent: Monday, April 09, 2012 11:35 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] Buying Cars from Canada

Anyone bought a newer car in Canada for importation into the U.S. lately?  Used to be I could just drive north across the border, sign paperwork for the old car, and bring the car back through the border checkpoints for registration in my home state.  Now, without going through the passport application, cost, and long wait drill, I don't know what the situation is, and thought someone might have been through it lately.  Since many newer Mopars (300s, Chargers, Challengers, Magnums) are made in Canada, aren't they all from Canada anyway??

Is there any difference in importing older cars, 50, 60, or 70's Mopars, vice newer cars?

Sorry to go off-topic, but I have seen many Mopars north of the border that I have held off on buying due to current efforts of the loons in DC to separate us from the people in the world that are most like us (no offense to anyone on either side of the border, aside from knee-jerk congressional twits).   :)

Thanks,

Larry (Akron)

No virus found in this message.