Re: [FWDLK] interesting

A 300D with WCFB’s? I think not. Is it a 300C? They had WCFB’s. 300D’s sported AFB’s as did all 1958 Mopars with four barrel carb(s).

John Hagen

From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List [mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Rawa
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2012 10:22 PM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] interesting

there is a difference you can feel when driving with added torque multiplication of 3 gears... hate to say it but powerflite cars kinda suck to drive... slush along until 2nd, then its over...  my friend daily drives a 56 firedome, equipped with 300D 392 [yes, bumps in the valve covers, 2 WCFB's n all] and street parks it just on the utshirts of philadelphia PA... i just built his a liquid cooled torqueflite for it as he was running the 56 powerflite behind the hemi just to keep his pushbuttons, well, we got a 5 button unit, 56 imperial torqueflite buttons, and fabbed a 1-off 56 desoto 5 button selector plate.  he is exstatic over the improved driving of the car, city fuel economy has gone up drastically, though highway is the same obviously [noted on his 3 hr trip a few weeks ago]  this is a car that get driven to TX, RI, and canada for business somewhat regularly...

its just a personal preference... i just picked up a 13k mile survivor 301 2bbl savoy 2dr, with powerflite... its already out- gave it to a friend who needed an emergency trans...

but this is coming from a guy who ditches a .030 over fresh 318/iron TF with only 2700 miles on it, to sell to a friend.. to swap in a 300E equipped 440 into my 2dr57 wagon with 65 cable 727... so far with about 100 miles since i put it al in and did my run-in... i'm seeing the same fuel use with the 440 and 3.23 suregrip as i did with 318 and 2.76 center... more torque on tap means less work... case in point - more torque multiplication = less work, so a 3spd trand makes a more efficient, and peppy car!

 in other cars i'll run 11:1 440s with 4.10 gears for 2-7 hr trips... alot of members have seen it and know the car[s] i speak of!

why do you think most modern vehicles of quality run 5 or 6 speed automatics? its to stay in a managed powerband for economy, and performance.