[FWDLK] interesting POWERFLITE VS TOURQUEFLITE

[FWDLK] interesting POWERFLITE VS TOURQUEFLITE

I converted my 56 Dodge D500 to a 727 pushbutton TF. I made no changes to the 3.54 rear ratio. The primary difference between a PF and TF is the TF has better gearing. The PF is like driving a TF that only uses 2nd and 3rd gears. Top gear is identical in both at 1 to 1.    2nd in a TF is almost the same ratio as 1st in a PF. 1st in a TF is 42% deeper than 1st in a PF. This gives a HUGE advantage in off-the-line performance. In a drag race the TF 1st gear will get the rpm up into the power band faster, have a deeper gear for better acceleration, have a higher rpm (more hp) until it shifts into 2nd, and then it will be the same as the PF. My car was a little slugish off the line before, but it just leaps with that extra 42% torque at the wheels.

The only advantage the PF had over the TF was a higher stall rpm in the torque converter to help make up a little for the low gearing. When using the early TF, just use the PF TC. In my 727, I used even a little higher stall rpm TC.

When comparing drag strip performance we need to compare apples to apples. Differences in vehicle weigh, rear ratio, transmission type, engine hp, are all major factors. In identically equiped cars, where the only difference is the transmission, more gears will always win. If fewer gears was an advantage, we would all be driving one speed transmissions.

Ron's experiences back in the old days in his 56 Fury is a good example. The 57/58 Furys, while they had slightly more hp, also had significantly more weight and lower axle ratios. Their TFs were not enough to compensate.

For details of my swap, go to:
http://webpages.charter.net/dhomstad/TransmissionFrame1Source1.htm

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500