[FWDLK] Electric fuel pump

I had a 6-Volt pos ground inline fuel pump installed near the gas tank in my ’55 Chrysler 300.  I initially just used it to prime the carbs and allow easy starts.  Later it was determined that unless the pump was running it would create enough of a restriction that the engine would starve, so it is now wired to run all the time.  When starting, I can hear the pump running and the pitch changes when the carb bowls fill up and the floats close the inlet valves.  Couple of pumps and an easy start every time.  Well worth the money.

The installation does create a hazard as if the diaphragm in the mechanical fuel pump fails, the electric fuel pump will pump gasoline into the crankcase.  Best design would be to bypass the mechanical fuel pump.  Fuel filters and pressure regulators could easily be added.

Rich Barber

Director and Membership Manager

Chrysler 300 Club, Inc.

1801 Redwine Terrace