Re: [FWDLK] Lack of glass bowl fuel filter and hard starting

No wonder.........For the longest time, I was running my '55 with out a filter!! and I always had difficulty starting up the engine from cold start. I usually had to prime it with gas after sitting idle for days. After I restored the engine compartment, I installed an inline fuel filter and immediately noticed a change in quick starting. After sitting idle for days I just pump the pedal three times and voila!!!
I learned something today!

From: Dave Stragand <dave.stragand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:21 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Lack of glass bowl fuel filter and hard starting

True, it doesn't -seem- like it would do much, does it?  However, it does make a difference. My guess is provides enough vapors on startup to get it going, as well as preventing suction from pulling the fuel out of the carb(s) and back down into the lines.

It may seem like it won't work, but for a lot of us it has. It was designed that way for some reason -- and the starting issue might just have been why.