Sent: Friday, June 21, 2013 5:34 AM
Subject: [FWDLK] Coronet Starting Issues

I tried to start my 59 Coronet today, and it failed to start.  The battery was weak, so I changed out to a good battery, and electrical issues seemed to crop out of nowhere, as the starter relay began to smoke under the hood, and I saw some smoke under the dash (seemed to be related, but separate issues of smoke).

Wiring from the relay to the firewall was hot and the wiring sheath tape melted.  I didn't see if the actual wiring melted, but will look tomorrow (seems likely).  The ignition seemed to work best when the key was in the ON or RUN position, and the amp gauge would drop off to negative and the starter would drag or stop cranking at the normal ignition key START position.  Of course, this seems to be where the under-dash smoke was coming from.

I'm not sure if the ignition switch or the starter relay went bad, or both.  This has always been an exceptionally reliable, 49,000 mile car, but had not been started for about 8 months due to Winter and other projects.

I looked at both starter relay and ignition switches tonight on eBay to get ideas, and it seems listings for the ignition switch, either with keys or just the switch, list the 59 as separate from 57-58.  The car is a 326/Powerflight automatic.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or other relevant thoughts?  Thanks,

Larry (Akron)