Re: [FWDLK] Examining the CRL today

Sounds like a parts car.  One of those situations where the parts are worth more than the whole.

The swivel seat unit could bring some serious money. Windshield too if it’s good.

Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2013 8:18 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] Examining the CRL today

After half an hour or so of conversation with the gentleman of the house, whose wife is actually the inheritor (inheritrice?) of the '59 Custom Royal Lancer, and who it turns out was known to me as he ran a restaurant where all us cops ate back in my early days as a cop, we carried our shovels, brooms, and lights out to the remains of the barn.  I did not take more photos because it was already approaching dusk.

First the "bad" in addition to the circumstance of the barn collapsed around the car:

The roof is somewhat caved and probably would have to be replaced for a nice appearance, as I know it is difficult to work the roof sheet metal back into factory form.  But see the "good" below.

The hood, although we were able to unlatch and raise it, is rusted out in the forward underhood structure, so that the outer skin up front is flapping loose.  But I presume any hood from a '59 of the same body would suffice with the addition of the "feed scoop" ornament.

The driver's side frame is mired in frozen mud, as is the front part of the passenger side, and we could not see if it is still solid.  The part we could see, further back on the passenger side, looked OK..

The passenger side forward part of the passenger compartment is seriously rusted out.  It turns out that the barn collapsed over 20 years ago, and the car itself lilts to the right front corner due to the sloped lay of the dirt floor, so all water found its way to that right front corner of the passenger compartment, and the floor, hinge bulkhead, lower cowl structure, and of course that area of the front fender, are badly damaged.  The passenger door lower structure is gone although the outer skin, while flapping loose, is still all there.  We figure that a donor from any body style would supply that lower inner structure to repair the door if a proper 2 door hardtop door proved elusive.  The only proper fix of the bulkhead structure IMHO would be to obtain this section of structure from a donor car and weld it in. My buddy is a certified welder and although I'm not certified, I am also skilled, so we felt we could accomplish this.   The passenger door is down about 1/2" at the front edge, and about 1 1/2 inch at the latch sill.  By wrestling it up into position we were able to latch it and keep things together.

The "good":

The edge of the roof structure, all around, appears to be undamaged, straight, and in the correct shape.  Hard to believe given the joists laying over it.  All glass is intact and from what we could see with the lights, the windshield is not even fogged.

The left side of the passenger compartment is solid, the door works correctly, etc.  The floor actually felt solid everywhere but that other front corner.

Every piece of exterior trim is present except one tail light assembly, that on the upper right.  The large gold colored "lancers" on the front fenders, the Custom Royal plates, the upper and lower spears, and the chrome roof surround all look cleanable and useable.  The grill work and heavy chrome pieces that outline the fender eyebrows, and the taillight pods, are all there except for that right upper pod, but there is mild pitting in the grill work (those are awesome heavy pieces aren't they...), on the hood ornament, and heavier pitting in the pods.  All the metal trim is present and straight on the inner door panels although the upholstery itself is of course getting ragged.

The dash pad amazingly is nice and smooth except for the far right corner.

The "informational":  The engine is a B, not an RB, so I would presume a 361, and a single four barrel carb.  The trans is a torqueflite based on the 1-2-D buttons.  The car is filthy but may be the pale pink and white combo, with an interior consisting of dark gold vinyl, beige-ish cloth, and what seems to be a perforated looking heavy cloth insert in the door panels.

Oh yeah, the driver's seat is swivel.  My bud had a fine time swiveling back and forth several times.  He's just a young whippersnapper being only 50, and he acted like a kid on a fountain stool there for a minute.

The lady has not completed her research so we are no closer to knowing what it might take for him to acquire the car, but he is not deterred by our examination.  At this point he would still like to buy the car and aim for a #3 restoration by him and me and enjoy driving it.  I have some emails from list members concerning parts if it should come to be parted out and I will keep those, but that isn't the plan at least not yet.

Bill & Kathi Parker, South Central Indiana, harboring of bunch of old and newer Mopars