Re: [FWDLK] 56 Fury-stick...

Furthermore, I have a big interest in the Dual Four Fury's history because it gave me some comparison to the D-500-1 story. I had the chase to meet Johnny Allen at the 50th running of the Daytona 500, the most prolific nascar racer of Plymouths in the mid 50's (55-58). He was being honored at the legends banquet. He confirmed to me that Plymouth supplied to him a complete factory Fury racecar in may of 56. It had the Dual Four setup as well as Imperial brakes and suspension upgrades. It was so much faster than his 55 he was forced to relearn his whole operation, from removing almost all tread from the tires to not running too hard and overheating the motor. Also note his hood read 260 HP after that. Great guy and still sharp. I finally located Bernie Hentges who conformed the same experience with a D500-1. He picked up his car in Detroit at the factory complete with the Dual Four Carbs and Imperial suspension upgrades. Also note that his hood read 276 HP after that. For those who wondered or were skeptical about these cars there is now undisputed confirmation that both Plymouth and Dodge built factory racecars in 1956. Drivers would eventually or even promptly modify the cars but they were running upon delivery or as in Brenie's case driven home to Minnesota. Tim in Golden.