[FWDLK] SMS

I guess I have been one of the lucky ones. I went to SMS (the place is huge) to buy the brocade, I guess you'd call it, seat insert material for my 1957 Belvedere. In their small sales office, they had a wall of small plastic drawers like you would keep small nuts and washers and stuff in, but these drawers was full of clearly marked material samples. What I wanted was in stock. Same for a 1969 AMC Rambler Rebel SST two door hardtop that had the original upholstery with a slightly worn driver's seat area. In stock, no problem. I took the complete bottom cushion from a 1924 Lincoln to SMS to make sure I had a good sample for a match, and they matched that, too. It was the last yard they had in the proper pattern, but it was enough to re-cover the arm rests in the rear. Maybe I just hit them on good days, but I found the service to be great. As somebody mentioned, if you're planning a restoration, order what you need when you begin the project. Considering all of the upholstery material possibilities there are, I think they do a great job. Not cheap, but they always had what I needed. Our cars are a little more challenging than 1967-9 Camaro, Chevelle, or boring Mustang.

Dan C
Ocean Shores, WA