Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Very nice D500 wonder what it should bring $45g and did   not hit reserve
Date: 3/30/14 2:39:20 AM
From: "Dave Homstad"
To: "Jason Rogers"

Jason,

The BS in the written description:

1. "The Dodge D-500 which was named for the NASCAR requirement that 500 identical models must be produced in order to be raced."  The name D500 had nothing to do with a requirement for 500 units. In 1954, Dodge was the pace car at the Datona 500, and used the identical cross checkered flags/500 badge as the 56 D500 model. That's were the name comes from. I have a spare engine with S/N D500-8000 something, which means they made over 7000 D500s in 56.

2. "The Golden Lancer was a special edition Royal Lancer that was available in California only." The Golden Lancer had nothing to do with California. It was available everywhere. It was also available in all 3 models, not just the Royal. The car for sale is not even a Royal, it is a Coronet.

3. "With production numbers for the D500 Golden Lancer originally slated for 100, actual production was closer to 50." Nobody knows for certain how many Goldens were sold because there were no records on that production breakdown. My guess is closer to 1000, based on survivorship.

4. The rest is just parroting old advertisements.

5. There are also many retorations errors, such as gold plated body scripts, welded exhaust (as somebody pointed out), modern rubber mounted exhaust hangers, etc. Wrong hose clamps, missing heater hose guide on valve cover, shorter 2 bbl oil filler tube, aircleaner is on correctly but the decal is located wrong, blue oil pressure gage hose, not a 2-belt hemi only generator, wrong battery cable ends, painted hood hinges, wrong horns and painted horn bracket, wrong carpet & rear window deck & trunk materials, funky vent lever, painted steering wheel, wrong winshield wiper arms (which is why they do not park all the way down), generator brace attached to the wrong engine location, starter solenoid/battery cable wired wrong, wrong battery hold down frame, the heater box should have a second fan motor for the defroster, etc, etc. That's only some of what I can see from the photos.

6. The photos are not that good of the undercarriage, but I do not see "6-leaf springs" or "upgraded 12 inch brakes". The leaf springs are 2 different styles.

I would like to see the body code tag on the cowl.

One should get something more correct for 45K is not enough. But it does have shiney paint.

Dave Homstad