Re: [FWDLK] Total contact brakes

Sounds like the shoes make partial contact with the drum and wear down quickly. You need to perform a "Major Brake Adjustment". Consult pg 89 in your shop manual. I was lucky the last time I relined the brakes. They fit well without a "Major".

When doing a "Minor Brake Adjustment", the anchor cams at the bottom of the shoe should be adjusted until a slight drag is felt. This means the bottom of the shoe is touching the drum and a slight amount of lining will wear off quickly so the drum is free running. Then the wheel cylinder will push out the top of the shoe and total contact will result.

Sepatate note: modern linings are typically much harder than OEM linings. This is because almost all cars in the last few decades have power brakes with higher line pressures and linings need to be harder to last longer. The result in an older car with non-power brakes is less stopping power and higher pedal pressures. I installed OEM power brakes and problem solved. A lot of disk brakes conversions get installed for this reason.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500