From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List [mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Robert Tittle
Sent: Saturday, May 09, 2015 12:33 PM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] Gas Filler Neck Woes

Howdy All --

Normally, I don't comment much as I prefer to lurk  & try to gather as much info as possible but do have a on going issue I'm sure someone on the List has dealt with before.

Before the shift to unleaded gas, the fuel hose nozzles were larger & the auto shut off was calibrated for larger gas tank filler necks. Since the shift to unleaded fuel, the nozzles are smaller & the large filler necks no longer trigger the auto shut off. The gas burps out of the filler neck, runs down the side of the car & washes down the brand new paint job.

I suppose leaning over the filler neck & manually releasing the trigger by the rising gurgle as the tank fills is a player but I always seem to be talking to someone about their grand ma's old car when that moment occurs. Besides it looks like you are huffing the vapors.

So, here are my questions:

1. How have you dealt with this? Surely some one has come up with a solution.

2. What about swapping the old filler neck for a newer one that has the unleaded diameter?

3. Is there a  reducer that could be placed in the filler neck to give the same back pressure signal to the nozzle?

        a. Long ago & far away, when unleaded was 1st showing up at gas stations people were knocking the restrictor out of their filler                 necks so they could run leaded gas. When the cars were inspected, they failed to pass as the catalytic converters were ruined.

        b. Auto parts stores sold a replacement restrictor to return the the filler necks to original diameter.

        c. I remember seeing them on the shelves but that was at least 20 years ago.

I'm looking for a solution to this as I'm developing a 6" wide dull stripe under the gas filler door. I saved up 2 years & worked in the Painters shop for a couple of months to pay for the paint & body work.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank all.

Bob Tittle

Aurora, Co.