Re: [FWDLK] Gas tank plug removal

It should just be screwed in, and a 1/2" ratchet should fit perfectly.

On Tuesday, May 12, 2015, Rimington, Kenneth <ken.rimington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I need advice from the gas tank experts on the list.  I have a 1956 Dodge Custom Royal with a gas tank in good shape except for it is pushed in on the bottom a bit.  There is a lead covered steel plug on the bottom with a broached double square 8 point star pattern socket in it.  I cannot find an 8 point tool to remove it. I want to remove the plug so I can use the hole to insert tools to raise the dent.  Here are some questions:
  • Is the plug sweated on (soldered)?
  • Do you use a square tool to remove the plug (engaging 4 of the 8 points)?
  • Is the plug swaged or screwed in?  I cannot see the plug on the inside well enough to tell.
  • Has anyone replaced the plug with a valve to facilitate draining the tank?  If so, how was the valve plumbed?
  • Has anyone installed a drain valve in the gas tank?
I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has removed said plug, with any tips, so I do not mess up my tank.  Thanks.

Notice: This e-mail is intended solely for use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader is not the intended recipient or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. This communication may also contain data subject to U.S. export laws. If so, that data subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulation cannot be disseminated, distributed or copied to foreign nationals, residing in the U.S. or abroad, absent the express prior approval of the U.S. Department of State. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy the e-mail message and any physical copies made of the communication. Thank you.