[FWDLK] Water pumps: do they go bad, by just 'sitting' for many years?

[FWDLK] Water pumps: do they go bad, by just 'sitting' for many years?

My car's "spare" water pump, has been living the good life, in Horrie's trunk, for MANY years.

His existing water pump, just today (at the end of a 100 mile road trip) began
leaking (pouring-out) big-time-enuf....

Got him home, and to a gas station, before noticing the active leakage, and with no over-heating
occurring.

Question: do water pumps dry out, internally, when dry-stored, for many years????

His "spare" water pump's impeller turns somewhat/rather stiffly, but SMOOTHLY, and with NO lost-motion to its operation.

Germans, and maybe the Swiss, too) would describe the impeller's current turning/rotating effort-needed as being Gutenteit.

So, is Horrie's spare water pump in good operating condition (with its stiffly-but-smoothly turning impeller), or should/could the impeller-system be overhauled or somehow lubricated
before being installed on H.'s engine????

Gaskets are cheap-enough, and my spare one is SLIGHTLY warped, and has one mounting hole in it,
that has a slight crack in it.

So, I suppose that that gasket, after all 'these' years, is righteously HISTORY, now....

What should I do, to ensure the good operation of his spare water pump, or to confirm that the spare
water pump IS in good operating condition?

Neil Vedder

---