Re: [FWDLK] 57 Custom Royal Lancer D500 badging

Re: [FWDLK] 57 Custom Royal Lancer D500 badging

On 9/4/2015 3:21 AM, Dave Homstad wrote:
Ron,

The 56 Mopars had 15 inch wheels and the 57s had 14 inch wheels. With
 the rear ratios you mentioned, the engine rpm in high gear should be
 close enough as to make no difference.

With these gears, these Mopars would need to be moving at nearly 120
mph at the end of a 1/4 mile to be near the engine rpm red line of
about 5000 rpm and wound tight. This mph needs a car capable of 12
second 1/4s. Ain't no way a stock 56/57 Mopar is going to get there
that fast.

The advantage 57s had was a much lower first gear in a TorqueFlite.
The advantage 56s had was 400 lbs less weight.

I'd place my money on a 56 D500 with a TorqueFlite.

Dave Homstad 56 Dodge D500/ TorqueFlite

:-)  I have some time slips left over from the days we used my 300-C
for the race car tow vehicle. There was one day I decided we would run
both at the event we were at, and since it was Indianapolis Raceway
park, home of the US Nationals, I wanted at least once to try the 300.
(home wasn't that far away from the race track)

Well, the 'tech' guy took one look under the hood and proclaimed I had
to run in the Super Stock class, despite any protestations I made that
not only was it our tow vehicle but 100% bone stock (except for the
rust). The towing wiring and hitch on the back had abbysoluletly No
impact on the tech guy either. I was fairly certain he didn't have any
idea what a 57 300-C was, even in the mid 70's there were at most 2 or 3
in the city.

With a pair of Atlus Bucrons on the back she ran in the 16's.
Unfortunately I don't think that car had the 3.31:1 rear ratio,
I think it's in the Low 3's or high 2's.

It sure had No problem serving as a tow car.   :-)
it got 17-18mpg on the longer trips with the race car out back.

--
Paul Holmgren
If you think Space is the Final Frontier,