Re: [FWDLK] Rocker Shaft Installation in 1957 Dodge 325 Engine

Re: [FWDLK] Rocker Shaft Installation in 1957 Dodge 325 Engine

So I've had 2 pushrod issues, learned a lot from both experiences.
- 360 head swapped onto a 318 block with .060" deck material removed. Caused an issue with angle of pushrod through head where casting flash (excess metal filled in between sand cores during production) scored the outside diameter of my pushrod, weakened it to the point of failure. Also due to pushrods being too long from the.060" removed from the head. Combination of the two caused pushrods to bend generating poor lift for the valves, poor performance, backfire etc.

2nd issue was a Chevy 350 with 305 heads and I was 16, installed the keepers on the valve stems incorrectly which made the pushrods fail as soon as the lifters '(hyd) pressurized.

Long story short
Check the color of the pushrod and rocker, if either are  blued then they're hot from friction due to no oil. If so,

Remove 1 valve cover, cover engine bay with plastic, have someone else start car while another holds cardboard over open head. If there is an oiling problem you'll see it. Take a picture and bring car back to engine shop. Might be a clogged oil gallery.
If not,
 talk to whomever rebuilt it and see if they did anything which could affect pushrod length; removed material between block and head, thinner head gasket, longer pushrods, different ratio rockers, etc. easiest way to check is with a pushrod length gauge. If pushrods are too long they'll fail prematurely.
Keep us posted.
Matt

Mobile