Re: [FWDLK] Car Spray Paint

Guess I’ll be the voice of dissent:
Having done a few restorations on these era cars, I’ll just say this:

If you are having the car professionally repainted, and you already have the engine and trans out:
Gut the rest of the car- if you haven’t already, and take the shell to have it painted.  They will do the all the areas that you want to paint with a can.
This ensures that the paint they use won’t have a compatibility issue with whatever you could have bought in a can.
Not all paint brands are compatible and can cause a whole host of problems.  You REALLY REALLY aren’t saving any money by pre-painting these areas and if the engine, etc is in the car when it is painted you will never get full coverage and risk having those components oversprayed in the process.
As to B5 Blue, Mopar is doing that color again today.  Unless you are going for a 100% correct restoration do yourself a favor and have it done in modern paints with modern chemistry.  I am figuring you aren’t because we are discussing paint cans.  This is like the difference between new radial tires and old bias plys.  HUGE!  Modern paints are much more durable and easy to maintain with the added advantage of not having to worry about what to do if someone hits the car- any shop would be able to take care of it.
The shop that does it should be able to tell you who they get the paint from so you can have touch up mixed later.

And Finally- There is no such thing as an exact match in a spray can.  The color on the car is dependent on all the atmospheric variable when it was painted, plus all the weathering after.
So, no one is going to be able to match it 100%.  They will get close but never seen any that completely match at all angles in all types of lighting.

Just my pennies,
Charles.

BTW- I’m F8 green with envy over your challenger.  I had a 72 back in the day and kick myself every time I see one now because I got rid of it before they became valuable.
Eh, my loss.  Enjoy!