Re: [Chrysler300] 300 ball joints - clean 'em or toss 'em ?

Re: [Chrysler300] 300 ball joints - clean 'em or toss 'em ?

Hi John and all

A ball joint has life if it does not flop around. A simple test is hold the
joint by the head with the taper pin horizontal. If the pin remains
horizontal and does not drop then there is enough tension to use. (my
opinion).
As far as media blasting you absolutely cannot allow media to enter the
joint. I have used duct tape up about 1/2" on the radius that the rubber
seal rides on. The tape must cover the entire base of head and all of the
tapered pin. Then you can blast, clean and paint before removing tape. Hope
that helps.

Gary, The parts Doc

At 08:17 PM 03/26/2004 -0500, John Hertog wrote:
>Hi again to all,
>
>I do have about 300 ball joints removed from various 300's over the past few
>years. OK, maybe an exaggeration...  but at least two spackle bucket full of
>them...
>
>Question is, before I toss them all out :  is there any way to tell whether
>ball joints are good or bad, once they are removed from the control arms?
>Anybody have any idea whether a ball joint that appears good and tight can
>in fact be bad ?    I wouldn't mind beadblasting / cleaning up / detailing
>and greasing up the old units that still appear good, but am I being foolish
>?
>
>John Hertog
>Sag Harbor NY

>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx