RE: [Chrysler300] 300G brakes

Mike,

Regarding the brakes on your G, in order to assure the best braking
performance, I know from experience the following needs to be done:

-Make sure the drums are within spec, not turned more than .060 over, and
are true.

-Arc the new shoes to match the drums.  If you don't do this, it will take a
long time to achieve good even braking, if ever.

-Lightly lubricate the parts that rub against the backing plate with a
hi-temp lube.

-Bleed the system thoroughly to remove all air bubbles.

-Adjust the brakes so that you have noticeable drag between the shoe and
drum when the wheel is spun.  This is an important step to minimizing brake
pedal movement.  Keep in mind the backs adjust differently than the front,
see your service manual.

-Don't be concerned about using silicone brake fluid.  I have had it in my G
since 1978 and have had very good success with it.  As an alternative, I
would suggest Castrol DOT 4 LMA (low moisture activity) type.

Of course make sure the flexible brake lines are fairly new and in good
condition.  If they are more than ten years old I would probably replace
them if I were doing all the other work.

Bob J
Danville, CA
300G convert-owned and enjoyed since January 1978

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used