Re: [Chrysler300] Steering Wheel Restoration

Re: [Chrysler300] Steering Wheel Restoration

Hi Roger & Rich,

I wanted to reply to this yesterday, but simply ran out of time.  I will add some comments below regarding my experiences in restoring steering wheels.  The site I'm listing did my Imperial wheel which is the same as any '55 or '56 NYer, 300 or Imperial.  Windsor's do not have the chrome thumb grips.  http://www.kochs.com/

These folks do Volkswagen primarily.  The did a beautiful job on my black with white grips and did not remove the chrome grips because they were in good condition.  There are no gaps as they have all been filled in right up to the chrome rings and look perfect.  I think the cost for this was around $300 and the turn around time was quick.  We even provided them with a sample of the white and they duplicated it perfectly.  The wheel is now over two years old and looks like the day it came out of their box.  I've never done it, but I'm told the chrome thumb grips are easily removed with a screw driver or punch from the back side and they simply pop off.  Once replated they can be epoxied back on.

Hope you find this information of some use.

John Lazenby
Southern California, just minutes from Disneyland
1955 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe Town & Country
1955 Imperial Newport
1955 Chrysler C300
1956 Chrysler 300B
1957 Chrysler 300C Coupe