RE: [Chrysler300] To Kill A Battery

Tim,

You mentioned, "The rule of thumb that was used was that a lead/acid battery
looses half
its remaining charge every 24 hours".

I afraid I have to disagree with this.  Lead acid batteries do self
discharge, but not nearly that fast.  Just to clarify what we are referring
to, we are describing a battery that starts out fully charged, with no load,
as if you charged it fully and disconnected it from the circuit to assure a
no load condition.

According to the Battery Council International (BCI) self discharge @ 80
degrees F equals about .001 Specific Gravity (S.G.) per day. A typical wet
car battery starts out full charge at 1.265 S.G., and is considered fully
discharged at 1.120 S.G.  That would equate to a fully discharged state
within 145 days.  That is about .69% per day discharge.

The amount of self-discharge is much slower at lower temperatures, and
higher with higher temperatures.  Also, the lower amount of antimony in the
grid alloy the less amount of self discharge, that is why "low maintenance"
and "sealed" batteries (which have little or no antimony) have a longer
shelf life, but are less likely to accept a charge once they do go flat.

I have worked for GNB, Exide and C&D battery companies over a 20 year period
and have been involved in battery applications pertaining to UPS, Telecom,
Motive Power and Automotive uses during that time.  My access to battery
engineers and designers have allowed me an opportunity to develop a deeper
understanding of what makes these black boxes "tick".

Bob J
Danville, CA

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used