Re: [Chrysler300] To Kill A Battery

To all,
1.  In my previous life in the military, one of my specialties was
environmental controls (humidity, Uninterrupted Power Source, etc) for fixed
communications systems.  That included specifically the large banks of
batteries used to provide the UPS with stored, uniterruptable power until
the auto start generators came on line.
2.  The rule of thumb that was used was that a lead/acid battery looses half
its remaining charge every 24 hours.  What little current a clock in our
beasts would draw is insignificant compared to the above rule.  Batteries
are way "over engineered" to allow for this halving of available power each
24 hours.  This can accelerate in extreme heat or cold.  Alaska soldiers
used battery warmers that plugged in much like a frost plug heater to
maintain a greater available charge for starting in winter.  I have heard
tales in the old days of Alaskans turning on parking lights for a few
minutes before starting their car to try and slightly warm the battery by
electro chemical action and thus gain more cold cranking amps, but
personally think that may actually cost you avail. amps.  Understand they
don't do that anymore as the new cars start so easy compared to older times.
3.  Anyway, that is why if a battery is left in or out of a car, it will
discharge over time.  The very slight draw when using a 24 or 27 series
battery is nearly non detectable.  I start my cars nearly each month, and
batteries usually last 6 to 7 years.  By the way, NiCad batteries only lose
a quarter of their remaining charge each 24 hours, but form crystals and
develop a "memory".  The Army learned that lesson the hard way on the float
batteries on their large, tactical switchboard.  Had to reengineer to much
heavier and bulky lead-acid.
4.  Our clunking, old clocks won't make enough difference in several months
if the battery is adequately sized and in good condition to start with, such
as adequate electrolyte.  I hate the new "maintenance free" sealed batteries
in which electrolyte can neither be checked nore replaced.  The truly sealed
style with the electrolyte in a bag seems to work out so far, tho.
Tim Tomlinson
West Central Illinois