Re: [Chrysler300] 300C front-ends and radial tires

Re: [Chrysler300] 300C front-ends and radial tires

In our experience '57 Chryslers and Imperials had frame cracking
problems.  I kind of doubt that it has to do with radials but have no facts
to substantiate this.

They crack in the following places:
Convertible like to have the place crack where the upper control arm
attaches to the frame.  Every one we have has been welded or we had it
welded.
'57 Imperials and Chryslers like to crack the weld where the idler arm
attaches to the frame.  Had  a 300 convert and an Imperial do that.  Both
cars had a good bit of miles on them I think or had been used hard if you
know what I mean.

I have always thought that it was because the '57 design was new and there
were some production problems.  Upper control arms are different for
'58.  Maybe they fixed something there.  Most of the original engineers are
probably dead by now.  I'm sure some of them would know.

I think we mostly did run radial tires.  Never heard the hard on the frame
story.  Chic has always used his cars hard.  In some cases previous owners
used these cars hard or they had over 200,000 miles on the ('57
Imperial).  Possibly they were never engineered for that kind of use life.

As far as use life I think mid 60s cars had some significant improvements
over the late fifties cars.  By the early 90s there were more
improvements.  I have been told my '93 Le Baron may last 300,000 miles if I
just keep changing the oil and doing tuneups.  It's actually a nice fast
little car that gets good gas mileage and is very reliable even though its
been totaled once before I got it and stolen once this summer.  I guess it
hasn't had an easy life.

Regards,

Nancy Kramer
Webmaster http://www.americandreamcars.com
Free Color Picture Ads for Collector Cars
One of the Ten Best Places To Buy or Sell a Collector Car on the Web

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used