Re: [Chrysler300] 300C front-ends and radial tires

Re: [Chrysler300] 300C front-ends and radial tires

Hi All:
Not too long after I bought my first 300, a "C" hardtop in 1963, I had to
have a crack welded up in the frame.  It eminated from the area of the front
support bracket for the upper control arm, and was over an inch long, as I recall.
 At that time the person doing the repair, who was also a Chrysler employee,
related that he remembered similar failures on higher mileage 1957 test cars
at the proving grounds.  I got the impression Chrysler did not think a fix was
necessary for that model year.  Perhaps they did for the 1958s.  My car did
not yet have 100,000 miles on it.  (Unless the speedo had been rolled back
before I bought it!)  I never ran radial tires on the 300C, so the crack was not
related to them.  I do think, however that the steel belted radials do give a
sharper "impact" to the suspension, and can remember magazine articles
explaining some of the changes manufacturers were making to accomodate them.  I have
run radials almost exclusively on the 300H for well over 100,000miles and have
had no frame or suspension difficulties.  I don't think the ride is as good as
bias, but the handling and directional stability is certainly superior.
300ly, Gil C.

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used