Re: [Chrysler300] Wheels & Tires

Thanks Ray for saying what I wanted to say better than I could.
The only other use for these unused tires would be to use them as spares in shows. I'm sure there are other club members who would like to have a NOS spare showing, in case he wanted to use one and split up the set.
Some years ago I had a chance to buy a set of old tires cheap and put them on a 63 Imperial. None let me down by blowing out, but all 4 separated and had to be replaced within a week.
I'm not sure I would even want to be standing close when tires this old were inflated. Of course, if they are used as show-only spares, they don't have to be fully inflated.
Okie Bob Merritt
 No, not that one, I live west of you in Enid, Oklahoma

Ray Jones <hurst300@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi George;
The rims are the least of your worries, the tires are junk. They should only
be used for display, NOT driven on. Most know that, but as it happens,
tonight's news had a story on old tires and there is a movement on to put
"born on date" on the tires along with a "do not use date" 6 years after the
born on date. Concerns are the known deteriation of the rubber over time and
tread seperation due to the loss of adheasion of the layers.

Long story short, drive on radials, and put the H78's on when you get there.
you'll get to display the car again that way.

Yeah, I know there's those that have been driving on those old tires for
years, but it only takes one failure to ruin your day, and they will fail.

Regards, Ray
Ray Jones, Jones Ridge, in the Ouachita Mtns near rural Mena, Western
Arkansas.
All Y'all come visit, Y'hear? We'll set onna porch and sip a few!

> From: News4ge@xxxxxxx
> Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:42:23 EST
> To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [Chrysler300] Wheels & Tires
>

> Hi, Club Members,
>
> I have a set of 25 year old, but unused H78/14 tires for my ram K and an
> assortment of 14" wheels.  2 are the original 6 1/2" wheels, 1 is a 6" and the
> rest are 5".  Since Chrysler used the 6 1/2" for ram cars and 6" for non-ram,
> it
> looks like wheel thickness is important.  My question is, how important?  Is
> it dangerous to use H78s on 5" rims if the car is not used for sliding around
> corners?
>

> Thanks, George Clineman
>

> P.S. I know it's hard to get 14" rims now, especially 6 1/2" ones.  If anyone
> has a pair of them (or even 6") that they don't need, please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> George Clineman

> Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> For list server instructions, go to