Re: Expansion Plugs - and overheating 300L

John wrote:

>On the freeze plug ( pardon me, EXPANSION plug) discussion, allow me to
>point out that Matt and Jennie Allyn are referring to the cup-type plugs
>(since they own 1962 Chryslers) , whereas Kurt and Philippe are referring to
>the 1961 and earlier dish-type plugs. The later type is much, much more
>forgiving as far as installation, and they will not pop out, whereas the
>earlier, dish-type are much harder to install properly.

Hi John,

Oh, yes, I forgot about that. The reason why they are core plugs
;o) is that you will find one at the back of the cam shaft where there is
only oil, and no water ( HOPEFULLY!! ). That was one place where the mold
core was supported during the casting process as well. I had one of those
come out in my '61 New Yorker -- a REAL pain in the tail!! When I replaced
it ( it was easier for me ( I'm getting old and stiff as well as crotchety!
;o), to pull the whole engine and transmission out of the car, then take
them apart out on the floor, ( JUST TO REPLACE THAT @#$%^& EXPANSION PLUG!
), then re-mate the transmission out where I can work on getting the splines
all lined up properly, and then put the whole shebang back in the car as a
unit. Anyway, I made a drilling jig and drilled and tapped three 10-32
holes in the cast iron block around the plug ( WHERE it wouldn't interfere
with the oil passages ) and drilled three holes in a big washer that would
lock the plug in place. I used both Loctite and lock washers on the screws
holding the big washer! That sucker is never going to come out again!!! ;o)

Kurt

Kurt Greske ( kurt_greske@xxxx )