'63 Chrysler 300 Temp. Gauge Issue

Hi All,

This one is a little strange. Here goes!

I replace the cluster on my 300 with a
cluster from a ''64. Nearly identical.
New Claret paint and it looks great!

Everything works except the temp. gauge.

The gas gauge (with volt. regulator) works fine,
but the temp. gauge always reads cold (far left).

I attached 12V from the battery to the wire at the sensor on the
block and the gauge immediately went to HOT (far right).
This should mean the gauge is working.

After reattaching the wire to the sensor, I took
a continuity tester (with lamp) and the lamp
started flashing (like the directional flasher).
The temp. gauge slowly went up, but I don't
understand the reason for the flashing.

When I attached a volt meter, it went from
12V down to 0V back to 12V, as if the
current is shutting on and off.

The pos. terminal was attached to the wire
and the negative was attached to ground.

Any ideas? Maybe a loose connection (ground?)
at the cluster, but what about the non-constant
current/voltage reading?

thanks-
Mark Lindahl
'63 300 Conv.