[Chrysler300] 1955 C-300 Power Seat Repair and Gearbox Lube

[Chrysler300] 1955 C-300 Power Seat Repair and Gearbox Lube

I spent the afternoon getting the power seat in my 1955 C-300 to work.
Before, it would just click, but not move.  I'm sharing my findings and
procedure below, but have a question first.

Page 201 of the 1955 Chrysler service manual states:  "The vertical
power unit shaft is equipped with a ball nut and should not be
lubricated.  The horizontal power unit shaft is equipped with a friction
nut that is packed with life-time grease requiring no further
lubrication."    Additionally there is a gearbox on the horizontal power
unit where a small worm gear drives and rotates the worm drive power
unit shaft.  If that gearbox was also packed with "life-time grease",
its life-time is over and the grease is gone, having leaked out and and
accumulated on the exterior of the gearbox and assembly and attracted 50
year's worth of dirt and dust bunnies..  Anyone have a recommendation
for what kind of grease to pack that little gearbox with?

Findings and Procedure:

Inoperation was partially due to a buildup of crud on various rotating
elements, especially the 3/4" (?) worm gears that position the links and
torque rods.  With the assemblies removed and the motors direct fed from
the battery, nothing would rotate until disassembled, cleaned and lubed.

Inoperation was also partially due to one of the two switches not
feeding a ground in one position as it should.

The ground cable was disconnected from the battery.

The front seat bottom can be removed by just lifting it up.  Pretty
handy!  Looks like a plumber's and electrician's nightmare under there,
but you don't have to understand the complex mechanical linkage to work
on the system.

The six wires connected to the switch were tagged and removed.  This
enabled checking the various switch positions for continuity.  One
position was dead on the vertical switch, so the seat could not be moved
down after being sent all the way up.  Jumpering a ground to the relay
enabled reversing the motor.  It was possible to clean the worm drive
power shaft of the vertical unit without removing the power unit by
spraying with WD-40 and ragging it off.  So only repair of the switch
was required

Both switch positions worked ok for the vertical power unit and produced
relay clicking at the motor but no rotation.

The steel and aluminum surround at the driver's side of the seat base
was removed by removing four small sheet metal screws holding it to the
seat frame.  This enabled  access to the three screws holding the switch
assembly to the surround..

The surround was cleaned and the aluminum polished.  The steel part of
the surround needed repainting with black enamel, that for another day.

The switches are serviceable, sort of.  Each of the two switches is held
in the chrome pot metal housing by two spring steel clips.  I ended up
breaking the clips to get the bad switch out of the housing.  Once out
and cleaned, it became apparent the black plastic switch body was held
together with small wire clips that were sort of like big square
U-shaped staples.  These clips were easy enough to remove and enabled
the inside mechanism and contacts to be accessed.  One of the sets of
contact points had enough erosion and corrosion to prevent electrical
contact.  Not having any contact cleaner, I just polished all the points
with a little brass detailing brush and reassembled the switch using the
two wire clips.  Much like filing a set of ignition points.

Not having replacements for the broken spring steel clips, I just jammed
a couple of steel brads into the spaces where the clips would have
gone.  This seemed to do a good job of securing the switch in the
housing.  Time will tell how long this crude fix lasts.

I removed the vertical power unit after first removing two small snap
rings from the mounting pins.  This task required a snap-ring tool with
tiny points.  The relay box was removed after tagging the wires.  The
relay functions checked out ok.  The wires from the switch provide
grounds to the relay and cause high-amp hot current to flow to the
armature and one or another of the fields of the motor.  There are three
wires coming from each motor.  The two smaller wires are fields, one for
each direction.  The larger wire is the armature connection.  To test
the motor, I bolted one field wire to the armature wire and connected
these two wires to the Negative (Hot) side of my 6-Volt battery.  Then
connecting the Positive (ground) side of the battery to the body of the
motor.  After completely removing the motor from the gearbox, The motor
started and ran fine in both directions.  (Whew!--what a relief--don't
have to go shopping for a motor.).  After cleaning the worm drive power
rod and the gearbox, they were reassembled to the motor and the system
worked fine in both directions with direct power from the battery.
There was a large rubber flex coupling between the end of the motor
shaft and the small worm gear driving the power rod.  I think some of
the accumulated crud was surrounding the coupling and preventing rotation .

Reassembly went fine.  The seat can be levered as needed to allow the
power unit to be slipped over the two mounting pins.  I WD-40'd the
connection points on the linkage and torque levers.

Reconnected the battery ground cable and everything worked fine.  The
motors ran smoothly and quietly.  Cleaned and buffed the leather seat
base while it was out.  Also vacuumed the carpet under the seat.

Now that the power seat works, I can install the seat belts I bought
last year.  I have sure felt naked without them and
she-who-must-be-obeyed will not ride in the car without them.  One old
report on the 1955  Chrysler 300 said the car cornered better than the
driver, what with the slick leather seats.  Not so bad when you have a
steering wheel to hang on to, but there is no panic bar for the
passenger to grab.
I hope this may be helpful to anyone with inoperative power seats.  The
bottom line is they are a complex electro-mechanical system, but can be
services with simple tools and unskilled labor.  I assume they are
pretty much the same in later years.  Consultations available and
criticisms welcomed.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood 94513