Re: [Chrysler300] 413 Dodge truck engine

Re: [Chrysler300] 413 Dodge truck engine

Carlton, It is easier to say what is different than what will fit. The 413 truck engines are a very different engine than the 413 passenger car engine, starting with the truck having timing gears instead of timing chain, which means the cam rotates the opposite direction, which means the distributer also rotates backward to car engines since it drives from the camshaft, which means the oil pump which feeds off the distributer turns backward in truck 413s compared to cars.Now we get to the heads, which are not only taller, but also have different porting on both the intake and exhaust side, so both intake and exhaust manifolds won't interchange. Since the heads are taller, the pushrods are longer, and the valley cover/intake manifold gasket is also different. Perhaps someone else on the list knows whether the basic engine block, crank, and rods will work, with the car camshaft, timing chain and gears, distributer, oil pump, heads and manifolds, etc., but my advice is to keep looking
 for a car 413. It could be that the oil pump was different on the truck engine, and the oil passages are the same in both blocks, but if not, the engine would self-destruct from the oil pump turning backwards and sucking air to blow bubbles in the crankcase. There can be other problems like overheating if the water passages in the car and truck are different, but that is just a guess, the known differences make this a bad choice.
I have checked this out in shop manuals for truck and car, and if you like, I can scan the illustrations and Email them, but I wouldn't try it. Several years ago a local garage didn't check first, and rebuilt a car 413 for one of his farmer customers who had blown the 413 engine in his Dodge truck, and came to me when he tried to put it together and nothing would fit. I think he finally gave up and found a truck engine after they screwed up the rebuilt short block
I ran across a 63 New Yorker today in a local salvage yard that still has what the yard owner says is a rebuildable 413. Would you like me to check it for you?
Bob Merritt   The one in Oklahoma
Carlton Schroeder <schroe99@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greetings,

Could someone tell me the differences between a 62 300H 413 and a 413 from a 1970 C800 Dodge truck.  I believe the truck engine has a large 2 barrel carb and I suppose the cams would be quite different.  The truck has a 5 spd trans coupled to a 3 spd trans.  Aside from the carbs/manifold and cam what else would I face upgrading the truck engine to H specs?

Thanks,

Carlton

Chrysler 300 srt8 2005 chrysler 300 c 2005 chrysler 300 pictures New chrysler 300 2005 chrysler 300 limited 2005 chrysler 300 m