Re: [Chrysler300] car

Now, just a minute.  The "engine situation" for the 300F was clearly spelled
out on the story board at the auction display.  The original owner blew out
the engine after the oil pan broke somehow probably a rock in 1962. The
original restorer put in a 1959 engine.  When we had the car judged in 99 by
the 300 club, we found out the engine year was wrong.  We put in a 1960 413
engine correctly date coded--close enough to the car production date--that
it could have been right for that car.  These dates we checked with Gil
Cunningham and he advised that it was a possible date sequence.  The engine
was rebuilt to 300 specifications.  So the car was authentic and totally
correct to the build sheet.  That was our goal and we displayed the build
sheet and the 300 club code explanation sheet along with the receipt for the
engine machining.

I have heard that there was chatter going on about an incorrect engine.  NOT
SO.  John Lyons mentioned it was  New Yorker engine in an e-mail mentioned
my near panic when the bidding just about died at $97K.  We had told him it
was a 413 and the story mentioned above so he went with New Yorker engine in
his mail.  That's not a problem with us and it was just a comment in passing
from John not wanting to take the time or space to go on about the full
story.  So that might have been the source for the chatter.  That is why I
am taking the time to be fully clear.  We were entirely forthcoming in our
description about the car.  We were excited and very pleased with the
$152,500 price having decided that probably 150 was where it would end up.
We advertised the car for three months with a color ad in Hemmings and on
Hemmings web site and we put a picture ad in Old Cars Weekly.  With that
kind of publicity, the price obtained was/is the market price for that car
at this time.  There was a phone bidder and someone there on stage battling
it out until the guy on stage gave up.

Please receive this in a positive manner.  I/we just want to be clear for
the record.  Technically, you could say the engine was/incorrect in that it
isn't the engine that was in the car when it was produced.  HOwever, it is a
correct engine per date codes and letter car specifications.  Let's be
careful how we use the "incorrect" word.  It has a negative, touchy
connotation especially since we have been so clear and correct in our
restoration and presentation of the car.

Sending this on to the 300 club and for all to take note.

Cheers and see you at the next 300 Meet????

Henry Hopkins/Richard Palmer