[Chrysler300] Re: Replacement Battery- caution

I buy nothing but Optimas.  Concours judging be damned.

From: John J. Hertog
To: 'Owen Grigg' ; 'Dave Geise' ; 'Bob Jasinski' ; 'Chrysler 300' ; 'Wayne Graefen' ; 'G & E Riehl' ; Lettercars@xxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 9:42 PM
Subject: Replacement Battery- caution

I hope you guys with the correct tar-top repro batteries will keep in mind
the fact that these batteries are externally vented, thru the caps,  and
give out a fair amount of highly toxic and corrosive gases. And sometimes
fluids, too, in case of overcharging due to a faulty regulator.

Absolutely every low mileage original car that I have ever examined has had
some damage to the inner fender, battery tray, and underside of hood from
venting of gases from the old tar-top batteries. Two cars come to mind:
Larry Phillips' fantastic, ulta low mileage 1962 300 Sport, and Pete Fitch's
cinammon "G" coupe after a fresh restoration. Both cars experienced
significant paint damage to the engine compartment, due to these old-style
batteries.

If you are going to drive one of these cars with a tar-top, externally
vented battery, please at least make sure to make some kind of a rubber
enclosure, perhaps out of an old inner tube, to protect that nice engine
compartment.

John Hertog
Sag Harbor NY

Yahoo! Groups Links