[Chrysler300] G Stick shift

John and all,

I spent the winter restoring my 3-speed stick '61 Newport and I am now quite
familiar with that setup. If someone wants to forward to me any pictures of
the floorpan and stickshift area, I can probably determine whether it's
original or not.

In my opinion, the stickshift '61 Chryslers are rare because they make
little or no sense at all, from a performance and driveability standpoint.
The Torqueflite is just an eminently superior transmission. The 3-speed
manual trans is clunky and awkward.

Also in my opinion, and perhaps I am wrong there, I can't see a stickshift
300G being worth much more than an automatic - at least, not significantly
more. But we haven't seen a restored one change hands in recent years, so it
will be interesting to note what happends when one finally does!

Interesting stickshift information: the knob at the end of the shifter
(ridiculously small cheap plastic thing) is grey on my '61 Newport; and the
one that came off a '62 Newport stick was black.

Also the pedals are different between those two years: 1962 uses identical
trapezoidal, V-shaped pedals whereas the '61 uses parallelogram-shaped
units, the clutch pedal being the reverse of the brake pedal !

John Hertog
Sag Harbor NY

Yahoo! Groups Links