Re: [Chrysler300] 1962 300 convertible windshield removal

Re: [Chrysler300] 1962 300 convertible windshield removal

Jerry-

  When I removed the windshield on my '64 300 convertible parts car, I removed all trim & mouldings inside & out.  I then carefully cut the old & cracked windshield gasket back to expose the surface of the glass as seen from outside the car.  There was still a lot of adhesion, and I found that just pushing firmly with both hands from the inside out, starting at the top (each hand centered behind where the lowered sunvisors would be), the glass was freed in one piece, with pieces of the gasket still attached.

  Another time on another '64, when I wanted to save the gasket,  I used a fine picture hanging wire and snaked it between the gasket and windshield frame, and cut the adhesive all the way around the windshield perimeter.

  I will freely admit that the first windshield I tried to remove I broke, both sedans.  Ditto the second one.  The successful ones, both convertibles with the 'bubble' were the third & fourth.

  John Spiers
  Lake Worth, FL

JERRY LINDSAY <jerrylindsay.300h@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          I have a 1962 Chrysler 300 sport convertible that on a scale of 1 to 6 with 6 being a scrap/parts only would probably be a 8/9. The windshield is good and I'm keeping the 413 S-41 HP 11 25 engine and drive train. Now the BIG question How do you remove the windshield without cracking it ??

Ken Wilson, Do you still have the rear seats to your sports convertible ??.

Jerry Lindsay
11469 87th Ave No
Seminole, Fl 33772
727-393-9091