  From: JAMES PRISTELSKI
  To: Chrysler 300 List
  Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 1:22 PM
  Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] two questions

  If the needle valve in the carb is not providing a good seal, the gas can leak back toward the tank since the tank is at a lower elevation than much of the fuel system around the engine. Of course, if gas is leaking out of the carb because of porosity or other problems, the float will drop and release pressure against the needle valve. Gas remaining in the fuel line, fuel filter, etc, will then be free to drain back toward the tank. Unlike some of the newer needle valves with a rubber tip, the needle valves that were OEM in 1960 were entirely brass. Sometimes a light tap on the back end of a brass needle valve will improve the seat and seal of the needle valve against the corresponding fitting. Otherwise, if you have a needle valve with a brass tip, you may want to replace it with a rubber tipped one.

  With best regards,

  Jim Pristelski
  Huntley, IL

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html