Re: [Chrysler300] Fw: Torsion bars

Regardless of any theories involved in the engineering of the Torsion Bar
system I believe that the bars do move.  If they don't, what is the
purpose of the clip?  If they don't need to move then what is the purpose
of the grease and the seal to keep the grease in place?  Manufactures
don't spend a penny on materials or an engineers time that they don't
have to.  I challenge anyone to remove the clips and the seals from their
Torsion Bars and drive their cars on broken pavement and gravel roads as
they were when new.  I trust that anyone who does will have the answer to
this discussion before long.

I offer my experience with bar failure.  I bought a 58 Plymouth when it
was 3 years old.  Shortly thereafter the left bar broke.  Upon inspection
I found that the seal was not there and the cavity in the anchor was full
of wet sand.  Of course the bar was rusted solid to the anchor and was
difficult to remove.  I inspected the right bar and found a gob of grease
behind the intact seal.  You can bet I put plenty of grease in the anchor
along with a new seal.  No further breakage.

Minnesota Marshall
Red G.

Yahoo! Groups Links