Re: [Chrysler300] Speedometer Lube

> I used to use a motorcycle cable oiler to force the lube into the
> speedometer cable.  I presume they are still available unless brake,
> clutch and throttle cables are throw away replacements these days.
>
> Bill Huff

Even though speedometers are electronic in the modern car and truck, the
tools to specifically lube auto speedo cables (with a grease gun) from the
transmission end of the cable are still in tool catalogs. Using such a tool,
it is not necessary to disconnect the cable housing from the back of the
speedo head and pull the cable out. But, very big, important caution here
would be that a little grease is all that is needed. Too much grease and the
lube will auger, pump, up into the speedo head bearing and destroy the head.
I have always pulled the cable (from the top on US cars/trucks) and
inspected the thing as I can check for binding etc. I borrowed one of the
special tools once when I couldn't get to the back of a speedo head.

Given the situation of speedo noise or a jumpy needle, checking the cable at
the back of the speedo head for condition is not a bad idea. If there is a
lot of grease or oil at the connection, pulling the speedo head for service
might be a good idea.

I have experienced that a light grease will stay up in the housing longer
and provide better lubrication than lubes that are applied liquid and stay
that way.

Condition of the speedo cable housing is important. Many of the speedo cable
problems I have seen were actually problems in the speedo head. As opposed
to the cheap, throw away junk we have today, speedometers in letter cars
should be fixable by the right person although not just any speedometer
shop.

New cable/housing assemblies are not hard to come by and are not expensive.
We have measured the existing worn out cable assemblies on many vehicles and
phone ordered a correct replacement part from more than one speedometer shop
giving them only a  word description. Most times, application information is
not sufficient information to build BTW.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: