From: lettercars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: c300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, robkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gcann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 300C engine on e-bay
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 16:52:15 EST

Cuzzin Rich and All:
Finally getting around to commenting on the 300C production figure
discussion.
First of all, as has been stated, the first 300C was VIN 3N57 1001.
(Happily, it still exists!) The last is 3N57 3251 for a total of 2,251 cars. Now a comment on those higher 300C production numbers. There has, for many
years, been published from time to time a figure around 2400 for 300C
production. In fact, I have a Chrysler letter series production sheet from the Historical Collection with penciled in revisions to the previous 3/9/73 numbers
raising the 300C total production to 2402.  This revision was dated  May
10,'74. What precipitated this---I was around there at the time---was that a document of PROJECTED production schedules was found and interpreted for a time as
300Cs actually produced.  John Bunnell, Archivist at that  time, made
corrections later. Obviously, some of the erroneous production figures were published, and continue to be so to this day. How do we KNOW these additional cars
were not built?  Two Chrysler documents indicate they  were not.
    1. A log of Chrysler Monthly Starting Serial  Numbers states the last
300C as 3251.  The
        starting VIN in September  of 1957 was 3247, so only 5 cars were
built that final month
        before 300D production  started.
    2. The 300C microfilm record ends with 3N57  3251
Finally, in the 32 or so years since the production figures were finalized
at 2251, NO 300C with a number higher has ever presented itself.

Hope this helps clear things up a little.

300ly, Gil Cunningham

In a message dated 11/29/2006 12:03:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,