RE: [Chrysler300] 300G manual trans

Hi Wayne and club,

The car that is referred to here is my car and I felt that I should let the
posts run their course before responding and/or commenting.

The $160K bid was real.I was the one standing on the stage introducing my
car and feeling rather stupid that the car was not there (as it was supposed
to have been).  The bidding was real.a phone bidder (who I spoke with before
and after the sale) was the high bidder and was ready to go higher had
someone in the audience advanced the bid (which did not happen).  The
auction company did the ethical thing and passed the car at that moment
rather than 'shill-bidding' it so the phone bidder paid my reserve.  Why
didn't I sell the car post-block to the phone bidder?  I almost did but
decided that I would rather have a shot with it live.that bidder will be
back.

A couple of clarification about the car itself:

1.	The car is an original mardis gras red car.
2.	I have all of the documents with the car.
3.	It is 100% numbers matching and correct.

I don't disagree with Wayne's comments about the reasons for rarity.whether
it is color, cost, or some other option that was odd, some just did not
sell.  Why didn't the F Special or the G 'code 281' sell?  Why didn't the
two-tone C sell?  Maybe no one wanted them..maybe the cost of the option (in
this case: manual transmission) priced people out of the market.  I can't
speak to the F Special because I am not familiar with the original pricing,
but a G stick car cost roughly $3,000 in today's dollars for the heavy duty
stick shift vs the 727 Torqueflight which was standard equipment in those
days on the letter car.  I can say that it is a widely known fact that many
'clone' G stick cars exist as does at least one F Special that was mentioned
right here on the server a few weeks ago.so someone must have liked them
enough to pay 'tribute' to them..

I am a purist and prefer manual transmission cars.but if I had to pay a 3K
premium today, I would likely opt for the automatic ..

I can think of another Chrysler that did not sell.it had a super powerful
motor that was impossible to keep running, a transmission that was balky, a
clutch that constantly failed, horrible build quality, terrible resale
values and in 1971, Chrysler (Plymouth) could only manage orders for a
meager 10 or so..it was called the hemi 'Cuda.

I spent the day yesterday with someone who is very very familiar with the F
specials and also has owned several period and correct Facel Vega's.he
indicated the Pont-a-Mousson transmission was a very fussy unit prone to
break down under hard driving treatment which is why Chrysler went to the
in-house unit for '61.  There was a long dialog a few months back in Old
Cars Weekly about the '60 4-speed and how one car kept coming into a dealer
in the mid west for transmission repairs.

The in-house unit was only offered on the 300 G as I understand it.  Other
Chrysler models received a medium-duty version that looked identical but
carried a different stamping on the housing and different model number from
the manufacturer.  I believe the model used in the G is the T-87 (this is
from memory and might invite a lot of chatter if I am wrong..).  the A 745
was used on many Chrysler family of passenger cars but not the letter cars.
Why would Chrysler offer the A 745 as standard equipment on many cars, but
as a $300 (1961 dollars) option on a G?  It does not make sense even for a
strange Chrysler corporation in 1961.  The $300 got you the upgraded T-87
tranny and a heavy duty clutch.

The fact is; either car, driven correctly, is a fabulously performing
automobile.  Finding one of either 'in the weeds' today is enough at this
point to generate significant national automotive media attention.  Only a
hand full of each exists, and one cannot find them no matter how hard they
may look!

Andy, you gave me an interesting idea when you noted the failed efforts of
the G at the '61 Flying Mile..maybe we could get a G stick and an F stick
together for track testing and see if one of the mags would do an article
(no, this is not a challenge for a race) with the track results...I would be
willing to have my G participate.  It certainly wouldn't hurt the interest
in these cars..

I do respectfully ask that this reply be posted on what ever lists the
original post appeared on (Chrysler 300 Club Intl and ForwardLook email
lists) because it called into question the actions and integrity of a very
well respected and highly regarded auction company.

Many thanks.

John

  _____