Re: [Chrysler300] 300G manual trans promo GARBAGE

Re: [Chrysler300] 300G manual trans promo GARBAGE

Well, you can't blame a guy for some creative
marketing.  Shill bidding is another story.  This
$160K scenario seems a little dubious.

I'd agree the 375hp/3-speed 300G is one of those "rare
but not desireable" autos.  I've been looking over
300G road tests this morning and the 3-speed is
universally panned from a driveability standpoint,
mostly due to the long throw from first to second, and
the non-synchro first gear, which some said was
especially problematic with the G engine's
characteristics.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss
this transmission itself for a sheer performance
application, i.e. a 400-hp 300G at Daytona.  Granted
this is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT animal than the car we
were talking about, but let's look at the trans, it's
the same.  It was a new transmission for '61 and
called and considered a "heavy-duty" unit.  I've
personally never heard any reliability reports on this
trans, which I believe is the A745.  It was standard
on Newports and Windsors, but it appears all 300G's
got a larger clutch - same size a the 4-speed F's.

Performance in the Flying Mile?  Both transmissions
are 1:1 in top gear so there's no advantage there.
Indeed, Bud Faubel's 400hp/3-speed 300G outran
Zeigler's 300F/4-speed's record run from the year
before 145.9 vs. 144.9 mph, but was DQ'ed because a
trim strip came off.  Zeigler's 300G won the class in
'61 at 143.0, but didn't break the 300F's record.

Okay, so, the long 1-2 upshift is going to kill the G
in the Standing Start Mile, right?  Well,
actually, Ken Fermoyle wrote in Popular Science that
he thought the Pont-A-Mousson's first gear was "too
low," and that when shifting in to the widely-spaced
second gear "engine revolutions drop off
substantially."  Second and third are rather close
together in the Pont-A-Mousson, and the A745's second
is right in between.  What happened on the sand?
Looks like Fauble's 300G won the class in '61 at 90.7
mph, besting Brewster Shaw's 300F's second-place
finish in 1960 at 88.2 mph. Huh.

Andy Mikonis
(Love debating this stuff.  Maybe the "all-american"
400hp 300G is the true "Holy Grail" of letter cars!
Ha ha, just yankin' your chain, Wayne.  But I do
think people would look at G's a little differently if
that Flying Mile record stood.)