From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of whuff
Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2006 8:20 PM
To: Debby and Al; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Fw: 300G torque converter

Al,

If the gears are clashing, there almost certainly will be evidence on both
gears.  Maybe you might try painting some machinist's dye on both the ring
gear where it is exposed through the starter hole and also on the starter
gear, all teeth.  That will let you see if there is engagement or not, and
also if the gear is spinning on the edge of the ring gear.  I have had bad
bendix drives before. One of them sounded like a wounded animal when it was
slipping.  Another did sound like the starter wasn't engaging, the starter
spun up with a grinding noise, but it was really just the bendix slipping.

Bill Huff