  From: Donald A Verity
  To: 'George McKovich' ; 'John J. Hertog' ; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2007 8:12 AM
  Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Tires

  Hi All,

  George is correct about the road force balancing. The body shop that I am
  parts manager at bought a GSP9700 a little over a year ago, along with the
  latest Hunter tire changing machine. My Boss likes expensive toys! I don't
  know any other tire stores in the area that have the same machine, due to
  the price tag. I am the only one in the shop authorized to use this machine,
  and I can also say from personal experience that nothing sets up a tire
  better. What the "road force" part does is simulates the tire going down the
  road. It measures the stiffness of the side wall, compares it to rim run
  out, and gives you reference points to re-position the tire on the rim. If
  the rim is straight, and the tire has large differences in the side wall
  stiffness, there isn't much that can be done other than balancing. The GSP
  also has an internal calibration check that I run once a week to be sure the
  machine is calibrated properly. Most older machines do not have this
  capability, so even though they may appear to properly balance the tire, it
  still may not be in balance. The GSP9700 also can store information if you
  check two or four tires, and tell you where on the car they should be based
  on least vibration, or least pull. If you have read this far, you probably
  realize that this is not a simple or quick process, which justifies the
  added cost. It's a benefit that can be felt immediately though, and makes
  driving much more enjoyable. In closing let me add that tire quality has a
  big effect on how they ride. Michelin tires still stand out as high quality
  tires that run very true. BF Goodrich, Bridgestone, and some Goodyear are
  also pretty good. Cooper, Mastercraft, and other "store" brands rank the
  lowest. This is only my personal experience of coarse, your results may
  vary. Since I have control over the machine at work, it is also likely that
  I could do some tires for local people on a limited basis.

  Happy Motoring!

  Don Verity in (Sunny at the Moment) Rhode Island

  _____